MODIFIED FOOTBALL PROGRAM (Ages 5/6)
The Long Island Broncos football and cheer organization has served the youth of Seaford, and surrounding communities, for over 50 years. The overall philosophy of the organization has always been to develop a passion for the respective sports of football and cheer in a safe environment, with instruction being built around core values such as commitment, perseverance, and a relentless and tireless work ethic.
Over the past several years, the Broncos have been monitoring the sport of football, and in particular, the sport at the youngest youth levels. We have come to the realization that as times change, we must reflect on our organizational structure and adapt to the needs of our youngest players. Over the past 5-10 years, enrollment numbers have been decreasing steadily in tackle football on a national level. We are looking to be proactive in our approach to the sport that so many of us love; a sport that teaches many lessons that can applied to much of what we do in life.
After careful planning, we feel that the Broncos organization would benefit from restructuring our football program and offering a modified program for ages 5 and 6 for the 2018 and 2019 seasons, and then expanding this format to ages 5-7 in the year 2020. Beginning in 2020, our current tackle football program will begin at 8 years of age. The modified football program would consist of the following:
Bronco Modified Football Program
- no equipment and no contact.
- personalized game jerseys
- two practices per week focused solely on building the fundamental skills needed to assure long-term success. Players will be actively engaged, and given an opportunity to develop specific skills that they may not have the chance to in tackle football.
- within practices, players will be provided with a rigorous workout to help them establish healthy habits that will benefit them both on and off the field.
- flag games played within the Under Armour Under the Lights Flag League held at Field of Dreams in Massapequa.
- screened coaches who are provided with proper instruction, including meeting with Bronco board members and MS/HS coaches to discuss the sport of football.
- as the program expands to include 7 year olds in the year 2020, we will begin incorporating the wearing of football equipment and use of practice devices such as tackling dummies and blocking pads at 7 years old. There will still be no contact, but this will be a bridge to transition into 8 year old tackle football and give players an opportunity to become comfortable wearing equipment. This will be determined at the coach’s discretion when, and if, he feels the players are ready to do so.
- the modified football program will include all that you have come to expect from the Broncos - including clinics at no charge (Never Quit Football Clinic hosted by the SHS and SMS coaches and players, Speed & Agility Clinic hosted by the Parisi Speed School of World Gym Wantagh, etc.), full inclusion in the Opening Day Ceremony and Picnic as well as the post-season Awards Banquet, professional yearbooks, etc.
- the program will run at a reduced cost of $175 (multi-child discount does not apply)
We feel that a modified model such as this provides our players with the tools and experience needed to have continued success long-term. We believe we have created a model that focuses on the most important aspects of the sport, while preparing them for the next level.
We are extremely excited at the potential for this new modified format, and welcome any questions or suggestions.
Thank you for your continued support,
Long Island Broncos
Doug Schiller, President
Leif Rosen, VP of Football
Bill Kind, Director of Communications
Tony Barone, Coaching Director
Transition Timeline to Modified Format
2018: Run the modified format for ages 5 and 6, as well as the existing 5/6 tackle team. The 5 and 6 year olds already registered for tackle could move to modified, but we strongly encourage the 6 year olds remain on their current tackle team.
2019: Only run the modified format for ages 5/6 (no 5/6 year old tackle). The 7 year old team will play tackle football.
2020: Only run the modified format for ages 5-7. The age of 7 will serve primarily as the transitionary year into tackle football, which will begin at 8 years of old.
By 2020, we feel that a program consisting of modified football for ages 5-7, and tackle football for ages 8-11, will increase participation, improve instruction, and best prepare our players for middle school football and beyond.