What is the practice/game/competition schedule?
Tackle Football/Competition Cheer:
- Football practices start the first week of August, and are on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Seamans Neck Park through August. Teams may add a third practice on an as needed basis, occasionally on Saturdays.
- Once school begins, we have the permit for every night at SNP and teams may alter their practice nights (religion conflicts, etc.). Most teams remain on Tue/Thur schedules. Football teams will often have a third “pre-game” practice as they approach the regular season and prepare for upcoming games.
- Cheer teams begin the first week of August and have practice two times a week at Seamans Neck Park and PAC.
- Beginning in September, Cheer has practice 3 times a week – at the Harbor School with Saturday practices at PAC.
- For tackle football, the games usually start the second week of September and are on Sunday mornings or early afternoons. The season is 8 weeks long which lasts until the first week of November. Older football teams (ages 8-11) that have playoffs may play two additional weeks bringing the season to mid November.
- Cheer competitions follow a similar calendar and compete in NCSA, wrapping up their season the 2nd week of November.
Cheer Clinic (5 year olds)
- The cheer clinic for 5 year olds begins the first week of August and lasts until the second week of September.
- Cheer clinic does not take part in competitions.
What league does Broncos football participate in? Are there weight limits?
The Broncos compete in the Nassau County Youth Football League, which consists of single age, weight-limit divisions. There is a preseason town weigh-in in August (no equipment – just cleats, shorts, and t-shirt), and then players are weighed in before each game with equipment on (no helmets). Please see the 2022 weight limits below.
Age (age as of 12/1/2021)
Preseason Weight Limits
7 year olds (90 lbs)
8 year olds (100 lbs)
9 year olds (120 lbs)
10 year olds (130 lbs)
11 year olds (140 lbs)
The game day weight limit is the same as above, plus 10 pounds (accounts for equipment).
For 5/6 year olds, the following is from the 2018 NCYFL Rule Book:
1 a. There is NO growth allowance in the Six Year Old Division.
b. In addition to the Division weight specified in Rule 2.2 of the NCYFL Playing Rules, two (2) players will be allowed on the roster at a weight of 75 pounds.
c. These “heavy” players will be given uniform and scale allowances equal to all other players, and will be permitted to play in all games for which they make weight at their increased allowance.
d. “Heavy” players will be designated on the official roster and shall be issued a jersey number of 90 or higher. “Heavy” players are permitted to only play offensive line or quarterback. They may not carry the football.
e. If a “heavy” player should make weight at the 65 pound weight limit (plus uniform and scale allowance) for any game, he will be permitted to play any position.
f. Therefore, the scale settings for the 6 year old division are as follows:
85lbs. – 2 designated heavy players
75lbs. – all other players